Hi, My name is Vedang.
I am passionate about building platforms and infrastructure and love solving customer problems. I am currently pursuing Master of Science in Computer Science with research area interest in Machine Learning and Data Science. My past experience includes working as a Software Engineer for 4 years at PayPal.
I like visiting new places, love cooking and always in for eating Pizza.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Master of Science
August 2019 - May, 2021
The University of Wisconsin–Madison is a public research university. Founded in 1848, It remains the oldest and the largest public university in the state. Till date, 20 Nobel Prizes and 41 Pulitzer Prizes have been awarded to UW alumni or faculty.
In my first year, I have studied about Machine Learning, Computer Vision and Data Science. A research project which I recently completed is about removing raindrop noise from images taken from smartphones. I’m also working with a group of researchers working on entity matching for data lakes. This project is sponsored in collaboration with the Department of Computer Science and Center for Limnology. More details on my project and role.
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Bachelor of Technology
June 2012 - May, 2016
Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) is a private higher education institute located in Vellore, Tamil Nadu. Founded in 1984, the institution is ranked #1 private institution for innovation by Govt. of India
During B.Tech, I enjoyed studying foundations of Computer Science, which included courses like Data Structures and Algorithms, Object Oriented Paradigm and Programming, Scripting Languages, Data Warehousing and Data Mining, Algorithm Design and Analysis.
In May 2016, I graduated with a CGPA of 9.37 and was recognized for Student Assisted Teaching. In March 2019, I was invited to give a guest lecture on Elasticsearch and Kibana, at VIT Vellore campus. Here are some pictures of the guest lecture.
May 2020 - August 2020
Amazon, is an American multinational technology company based in Seattle that focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence. It has been referred as the world's most valuable brand.
At Amazon, I was part of Computer Vision - Product Identification & Counting team of Amazon Go. Below is a brief of my project and responsibilities:
- Designed & developed pre-warming reference feature cache of image crops for products in Amazon Go store
- Increase in low confidence to high confidence promotion rate of product identification by 2% (expected)
- Technologies used: Python, Ruby, Amazon Web Services – Lambda, EventBridge, SNS, SQS, SWF, S3, CloudWatch
Software Engineer II
January 2016 - August 2019
PayPal, is an American company operating a worldwide online payments system that supports online money transfers and serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods like checks and money orders
At PayPal, I was part of Core Platform and Infrastructure team. I was fortunate to lead and work on various projects which required collaboration with dozens of teams. Below is a brief of my responsibilities in the projects:
- Built a code framework & analytics platform based on Elasticsearch and Kibana
- Led creation of a data fixture framework reducing 95th percentile time from 3sec to 20 ms
- Technologies used: Java, Spring framework, RESTEasy, Docker, Redis DB, Grafana, Jenkins
- Key contributor to the migration of PayPal’s development workload to Google Cloud Platform
- Designed & implemented a distributed system using Docker, Apache Mesos, Aurora and Zookeeper
- Developed health check tool for internal cloud platform used by all PayPal development engineers
Proficient: Problem Solving, Data Structures, C, C++, Java, Python, Public Speaking and Teamwork
Honor & Awards
Honor & Awards are available here.